If your car is out of control and the brakes have failed, will putting it in the reverse gear slow down the car?
- Do not turn ignition off. On a car made in the last few decades, this will lock the steering wheel.
- Don't try to go into reverse gear. On a manual car, you'll grind the gears a bit and won't succeed. With automatic transmission, interlock won't let you shift into R.
- Put hazard lights on and blow your horn.
- Most common brake failure is the failure of the hydraulics.
- Apply very firm pressure with both feet on the brake pedal. Use very significant force.
- If that didn't help, use engine braking (downshift one gear at a time) to slow down. This works the same in automatic or manual car.
- When in first gear, press the parking brake release button, then pull the parking brake up slowly, continuing to steer as you pull over and stop.
- Breathe in.
- Breathe out.